Health Education and Outreach
What the Health?
FAMU SHS provides ambulatory primary care and health promotion services. As part of our wholistic programming, designed to address social ecological impacts to health we offer an array of support services to augment our clinical services.
Student Support Services:
- Peer Health Advocate Program
- Formly known as our Peer Health Educator program, the PHA's are student leaders who are trained in subject areas that aid SHS in providing educational presentations and programs each semester. To sign up simply contact Dr. Wilson at 850-599-3777 to obtian an application. PHA positions are available year round.
- Patient Advocate Program
- FarmShare and Food Pantry
- To address food insecurity the employees of SHS have established two programs. FarmShare is a collaborate effort with FarmShare of Gadsden to provide fresh fruits and veggies free of charge to students. This is available every week, in the Health Services Complex. The Food Pantry is located in SHS and is a small repository of canned and non-perishable food items made available to students with emergency food needs.
- Community Service and Outreach
- We provide health education around campus and the Tallahassee Community. These tabling opportunities are available to all student volunteers. Simply stop by and complete a volunteer application with us, and receive training. This is a great way to learn more about health and the Tallahassee community.
- First Aid Stations
- hosted by FAMU Health at each home football and many home basketball games. Stop by our station for the latest in programming, health education and great handouts.
- Peer Support Groups
- These are "self-help" groups created around specific needs of students. SHS provides space for these meetings in a safe location, with an staff to supervise
- Safe Zone Trainings
- Training on diversity and inclusion aimed at improving your vocabulary and skills related to LGBTQA community. Making FAMU more welcoming and inclusive.
- Tools to Quit (TTQ) Tobabcco Cessation Program
- This is a smoking cessation program that features FREE Nicotine Replacement Therapy and a 2 hour education session
- Green Dot
- This violence prevention program is designed to develop a campus wide bystander intervention and safer community
- Rattler Wellness
- Sponsored by FAMU Health and Campus Recreation, this program is aimed at education, welness coaching, and other workshops.
We invite you to keep up with our programming and "follow and like" us.
FAMUHealth on Twitter AND FAMU RattlerWellness on Facebook
1700 Lee Hall Drive
116 Foote-Hilyer AC
Tallahassee, FL 32307