LOOK ALIVE: THE CAMPAIGN TO END DISTRACTED WALKING
Researchers have found that, over a ten-year span, texting and walking has caused more than 11,100 injuries in the United States, alone. Furthermore, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, pedestrian deaths numbered 5,376—and were the only group of road users whose fatality numbers increased.
The Office of the Dean of Students, in conjunction with the Student Government Association challenges the student body to LOOK Alive – pay attention to their surroundings as they travel across campus.
Video Challenge: Students are encouraged to submit original and creative videos that encompass the following theme:
LOOK ALIVE! Ending Distracted Walking One Student at a Time
- All video submissions from students across all campuses are welcomed, including undergraduates, graduate and professional students.
- Videos may be produced by an individual or up to five people.
- Prizes are awarded per video, not per team member.
- One video entry per team.
- All videos become property of Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University for use in marketing, promotion, distribution over social media, and other venues.
- Videos must be at least 15 seconds and may not exceed 30 seconds.
- Videos must be G- or PG-Rated. Videos that include offensive material will be disqualified.
- Videos must include at least one statistical fact about texting and walking or “distracted walking”
- Videos must include at least one of the following hashtags:
- Per the Fair Use doctrine, short clips of copyrighted music may be permitted for the use of educational purposes (i.e. this campaign)
A curated panel of students, faculty and staff will judge all videos. The three highest scoring videos will be awarded first, second, and third prize. Videos will be judged on the following criteria:
- Originality – How well does your video stand out among all other submissions?
- Message – How well does your video tie in with the theme?
- School Spirit – Is the video representative of Florida A&M University?
- Quality – How good is the production? Editing? Sound quality? Smooth and easy transitions?
- Resonance – Does the video offer a “take away” for the audience?
Video Submission Timeline
Monday, March 11, 2019 – 12:00 A.M. EST: Contest Opens (submit all videos through iStrike portal)
Monday, April 8, 2019 – 5:00 P.M. EST: Contest Closes
Friday, April 12, 2019 – Winners Announced during Set Friday
1st Place: $1,000 scholarship
2nd Place: $500 scholarship
3rd Place: $250 scholarship
If you have questions, please contact Joshlyn Thomas, Student Affairs Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
Video Submission Form