FAMU’s Living-Learning Communities (LLCs) provide a holistic and diverse style to student growth and education. Our residents live in housing facilities which support these ideals through academic partnerships, service-learning opportunities and in-hall education. Each community facilitates a uniquely-designed platform which connects students, faculty, and staff through the classroom,programming and personal interaction.
While our living-learning communities are diverse in majors and programming, the core emphasis is placed on academics. The residents do not simply live in the same facility or on the same hall; however each takes part in academic programming that encourages working together as a community. Designed for first-year students, our LLCs concentrate on learning through motivating, cultivating, and challenging our residents in and outside of the classroom.
The deadline to apply for Fall 2019 is May 1, 2019.
- You must be a first time in college (freshman) student for the 2019-2020 academic year.
- The LLCs are “major-specific.” Interested students must major in a degree area that falls under the school/college/LLC. For example, if you are interested in the School of Allied Health Sciences LLC, you must major in Cardiopulmonary Science (CPS), Health Care Management (HCM), Health Informatics and Information Management (HIIM), Health Science/Pre-Occupational Therapy (HSPOT), or Health Science/Pre-Physical Therapy (HSPPT).
- Actively participate and complete all work required for the selected Living-Learning Community. Note: Nonparticipation in the selected LLC meetings, programs and activities, will result in removal from the designated FAMU Village LLC residence hall floor and LLC program
- Remain in the selected LLC for one academic year.
- This LLC does not allow roommates that are not admitted individually to the LLC (i.e., if you are a business major and want to live in the Business LLC, your roommate has to be a Business major).
- The LLCs are housed in FAMU Village. Students who choose the LLC option are responsible for the additional housing costs associated with FAMU Village.
To apply for an LLC, you must go through the Housing Application online process first.
Below the age of 18 and want to apply for an LLC? Complete the Student Housing Agreement paper application. See instructions below:
- After the completion of the Housing Application online process, you will be prompted to click on the LLC (based on a qualifying major) that coincides with your designated college or school.
- You will be sent to a link designated by the LLC Liaison for the college or school. Complete the form.
- After the completion of the form, the Liaison will review your information and determine whether you meet the LLC requirements and send the decision to the Office of University Housing.
- If accepted your original housing assignment will be adjusted accordingly.
- You can complete your Housing Application online and you will be prompted to select your desired LLC. If you are doing are completing a paper Housing Application, you must submit a Housing Application/Housing Agreement form.
- Download and complete the paper application
- On the Housing Agreement/Housing Application form, select one LLC option
- Mail your application and advanced payment (Cashier’s Check or Money Order) to the address that is listed on the form
- Complete any other required documents (e.g., Essay, Personal Statement) as indicated in the LLC description/criteria via an online link or mail to the address that is listed for the LLC.
Still have questions? Please feel free to contact:
Dr. Brenda C. Spencer
Director, Academic Integration and Student Transitional
Services/Living-Learning Community Program
FAMU Undergraduate Student Success Center
at (850) 412-5790 or Brenda.Spencer@famu.edu
with questions about LLCs.